So I’m making progress on my thesis, I think. I’ve cut out two stories to save myself major revising headaches. But now I have five stories, all but one are over 20 pages long (double-spaced). And one I just wrote over Christmas break so it still needs lots of work. And I’m fairly frustrated with it because I have a lot of changes to make that I don’t really want to make but know that I need to. I love my main character–a woman with early onset of Alzheimer’s who works in a deli–but I originally had her acting strange out of grief for her recently dead husband. And now I realize that it needs to be Alzheimer’s as well, so I have to go through and make her behavior consistent–more about random short-term memory loss. And by the end of the story, she will be losing her facility with words. It’s a happy story.
But the other four are coming along well. All of them are done and now I’m just going through and literally examining each paragraph for ways to tighten and compress the language. And the endings all still need work. But that will be the case until I have to submit my final thesis to my committee.
I have only two more weeks with my stories until I have to give them to Marjorie for the last intervention. The pressure’s on, though I suppose it was before.
I should post a picture later of all the stacks of stories around the apartment. For each story I write, there are many drafts I print out and go over. And I don’t have a good place to put them since our four filing drawers are full. It would be great if I had my own office so I could keep my mess there.